Serving Size ½ of recipe
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Sodium 359 mg
Total Carbohydrate 83 g
Dietary Fiber 18 g
Protein 21 g
Ingredients and Preparation
Whole-wheat fettuccini or other pasta 4 ounces
White beans (any type), drained and rinsed ½ (16-ounce) can
Olive oil 2 teaspoons
Garlic clove, minced 1
White onion, chopped ½
Carrot, peeled and chopped 1
Celery stalk, chopped 1
Salt ¼ teaspoon
White wine (can substitute vegetable broth) ¼ cup
Diced tomatoes in their own juices 1 (14-ounce) can
Grated Parmesan cheese 2 tablespoons
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting fat and salt.
- Mash half of the beans into a paste-like consistency with the back of a fork and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, carrot, celery, and salt, and cook 8-10 minutes, until vegetables are softened. Stir in wine, increase heat to medium-high, and cook 3-4 minutes, until wine evaporates.
- Add tomatoes and mashed beans to the pot and simmer about 6 minutes, until thickened. Stir in unmashed beans and cook until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
- Top pasta with the sauce and serve.