Serving Size ½ of recipe
Total Fat 22 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Sodium 867 mg
Total Carbohydrate 31 g
Dietary Fiber 8 g
Protein 18 g
Ingredients and Preparation
Plum tomatoes, chopped 2
White onion, chopped ¼
Garlic clove, chopped 1
Cilantro 1 + 2 tablespoons
Canola oil 1 + 2 teaspoons
Salt ¼ + 1/8 teaspoon
Corn tortillas 2
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Refried beans, warmed on the stove ½ cup
Reduced-fat sour cream 2 tablespoons
Avocado, diced ½
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese ¼ cup
- In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatoes, onion, 1 tablespoon cilantro, and garlic until almost smooth.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add tomato sauce and cook until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in ¼ teaspoon salt and set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat in another large skillet and cook tortillas about 5-10 seconds on each side, until softened. Set on paper towels to drain.
- Break the eggs into the same skillet over medium heat and cook to desired degrees of doneness (cover the skillet if you like the yolk firm). Season with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Dip each tortilla in the tomato sauce and place in the middle of a plate. Spread half of the beans over each tortilla, top with fried eggs, the spoon over the remaining sauce.
- Garnish with sour cream and avocado, sprinkle with cheese and 2 tablespoons cilantro, and serve.