Osteoarthritis (OA) develops over time due to a variety of factors. There are no known ways to prevent OA, but there are steps to help keep your bones and joints healthy:
- Maintain a healthy weight to reduce stress on your body's joints.
- If possible, avoid activities that require intense, repetitive motion on joints that are susceptible to OA, such as the knee.
- Get regular exercise to strengthen muscles. Strong muscles absorb shock and protect the joint from excess stress. Weak muscles, cause excess stress and wearing on the joint.
Healthy bones and joints may delay the onset OA or decrease the severity.
- Reviewer: Warren A. Bodine, DO, CAQSM
- Review Date: 05/2016 -
- Update Date: 05/20/2015 -