Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Servings and Times
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person: 3.0
Ingredients and Preparation
- Peel onions and cut into ½ inch thick wedges.
- Peel the sweet potato, carrots, squash, and parsnips; cut into ¾ inch pieces.
- Peel and mince or press garlic.
- Rinse bell pepper; stem, seed, and cut into ½ inch strips.
- Cook onions, sweet potato, carrots, squash, parsnips, garlic, and 1 cup of broth in a covered pan for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add a few tablespoons of water if mixture begins sticking to pan. Add 1 more cup of broth, along with the bell pepper, tomato sauce, lime juice, and cayenne to taste.
- Return to a boil, and then reduce heat. Simmer covered until vegetables are tender when pierced, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- If stew sticks to pan or gets thicker than desired, add more broth as needed.
- Add peas and stir occasionally until hot, about 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls, and garnish with cilantro or sliced green onions.