Serving Size 1 cup
Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat less than 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 154 mg
Potassium 524 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 5 mg
Protein 8 mg
Ingredients and Preparation
Great northern beans 2 cans (16 oz each)
Olive oil 1 tablespoon
Fresh mushrooms, sliced ½ pound
Onion, coarsely chopped 1 cup
Carrots, sliced 2 cups
Celery, coarsely chopped 1 cup
Garlic, minced 1 clove
Tomatoes, fresh, peeled, cut up 3 cups *
Dried sage 1 teaspoon
Dried thyme 1 teaspoon
Dried oregano ½ teaspoon
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Bay leaf, crumbled 1
Elbow macaroni, cooked 4 cups
- Drain beans and reserve liquid. Rinse beans.
- Heat oil in 6-quart kettle. Add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sage, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Cook macaroni according to directions on package, using unsalted water. Drain when cooked. Do not overcook.
- Combine reserved bean liquid with water to make 4 cups.
- Add liquid, beans, and cooked macaroni to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to boil. Cover and simmer until soup is thoroughly heated. Stir occasionally.